Saturday, May 25, 2013

Welcome to my corner of the world, and come take piano lessons with me!

My sense of self-importance became overwhelming, hence this blah, blah, blog. I'm starting this up so I can tell you about my music, art, work, family, and life. I have lots going on and I'm excited to share it with you.

Today I'm thinking about piano lessons, which I've had the good fortune to teach over the last couple years. I've had as many as 5 students and am now down to 2. Maybe that's not a ringing endorsement, but hear me out. It's a blessing and a joy when a 6-year old who is just learning to read can name the notes on the grand staff and on the keyboard. It's amazing to watch an adult student take her classical training and learn new rules for forming chords and reading a "Real Book" chart that only has one music line and chords. I love watching this progress and sharing the joy I've gained from music with other folks.

I would like to add a few more students, I won't lie. I'm not good at self-promotion, though. There are many classical teachers in my town and I don't want to step on any toes or take students away from other teachers. I will say, however, that my experiences in jazz and rock have led me to look at music in a different way than we approach classical music. If you're reading this and you're local (Northern New Mexico, but especially Los Alamos and White Rock), and you have even the slightest inkling of playing the piano, give me a shout!


No comments:

Post a Comment