Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Not 25 anymore...

I'm sure a lot of you can relate, but my body is not 25 years old any more. After a weekend of carrying my daughter around at the zoo, karate class, and yard work, I'm tired and sore.

Another indication is my upcoming 20th high school class reunion. I'm kind of excited, kind of nervous. It's a quick trip, kind of like my 10th. That time, it was the fact that I was 2 weeks into a new job. This time, I'm in the middle of "proposal season" at work.

A third notice was the fact that my wife and I celebrated our 12th anniversary last weekend. What'd we do, you ask? Built a 8' x 8' raised bed and filled it with dirt (the aforementioned yard work). But then, the Mrs planted squash, zucchini, and pumpkins. She was psyched as the pumpkin patch has been a dream for years.

The last clue that I'm getting older is that I'm getting more and more irritated at the state of the world. The latest in the saga is food. I just started following foodrevolution.org. Not sure how true their facts are yet, but they assert that fully 90% of the food in the grocery store contains GMO-derived contents. I believe that's true for the center aisles. GMOs are linked to a whole list of maladies, not the least of which is the fact that the industrial food complex is operated by a small handful of companies whose entire purpose is to make money. The entire "GMOs will feed the world" is obviously not true. If so, the companies would be less worried about chemically tolerant seeds and more worried about things that would actually matter to people--plants for tough to grow in soils, plants that are drought tolerant, seeds you can re-use. Americans pay a smaller percentage of their income on food than anywhere else in the world. I guess we get what we pay for, and we are what we eat. Oh man, I got started. But, this has been growing for a while. We've been dissatisfied with commercial food for a while and the garden keeps growing and growing.

Anyway, check out foodrevolution.com. and "Radical Homemaking."




1 comment:

  1. Well, you got me interested, especially since I do the food shopping... (Your second reference is to .com instead of .org). And with your family here and all their sensitivities, that is probably a good site to recommend to them, too.

    ReplyDelete