Monday, September 9, 2013

The Faux-Rhodes Gets New Guts!

I pulled the trigger on a new keyboard last week, upgrading from the pretty good Casio PX-3 to what promises to be the great Casio PX-5S (it was a Keyboard Magazine "Key Buy" in 2012). It combines everything I liked about the PX-3 into a package with better pianos, some fantastic electric pianos (the 60s EPs really caught my ear), fully editable and tweakable synthesizers, complex and interesting tones ("hex-layers"), and some really nice stage features. I was initially somewhat put off by the white color, but I think the black on white color scheme will be much easier to see in the dark on-stage. I can't wait to put it to work. I think it'll open up a lot of sonic possibility and perhaps even some other musical opportunities (one man band-type stuff). Some of the "techno" presets are fun to mess with (though not that useful in the jazz and rock groups I'm currently in). I've been wanting to throw strings in with the jazz band for a while, but the PX-3 strings were shrill, too loud, and unusable. I have a bit of programming to do, but I'll use it this coming Saturday with D.K. & the Affordables at the Pajarito Brew Pub.

I hate to sound like an advertisement, because I'm a "find what works for you" kind of guy (and the PX-5S might not be it for many folks), but the community that has rallied around this instrument is quite phenomenal. I've found probably 20 hours of tutorials on YouTube, and Mike Martin, the marketing guy from Casio, personally monitors a bunch of forums and participates in the PX-5S Facebook page. I guess folks are excited to see an extremely flexible and functional pro-level stage piano for less than $1000. So, thanks to the team at Casio for creating not just this product, but the support to go with it.

The only wrinkle in my gig rig is the MicroB Hammond emulator--it usually sits on top of the piano, on the left, but with the PX-5 controls up there, I'll have to get used to it on the right side. Oh, poor me.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment