Monday, October 14, 2013

The Carhartt Vest Project

Years ago, my K-9 search & rescue training partner Glenn moved to Alaska. He liquidated a lot of his stuff to me including a bunch of camo clothing, an old armoire (which I repurposed into an entertainment center), and a Carhartt jacket. I used the jacket off and on in the winter to change the oil and stuff like that, but the sleeves were too short (I must be part ape because this is a common problem for me). Also, I wanted a more rugged vest that I could wear to chop wood and do other such jobs in the shoulder seasons. So, I took the sleeves off the jacket and serged the edges of the lining

finished the raw edges of the lining with the widest bias tape I could find

and stitched it all back together. Voila!

I should note that roughly a year passed between taking the sleeves off and finishing the thing, but hey, it's done now. And it works much better for me as a vest than it did as a jacket.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. I was impressed with the finished product! They way you finished it works great- I wasn't sure how it would all come together, but you figured it out!

    ReplyDelete