Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Visit from My Old Buddy, Back Pain


If you know me, or if you've been reading this blog for a while, you'll know that I endure back pain from time to time. This past weekend was one of those times. I'm not alone, I know, but it still stinks, and can sometimes require a lot of mental fortitude to overcome. It stems from an accident I suffered over a decade ago, and every aspect of my being has changed in the past few years as the symptoms have cycled on and off. I've had a couple bad bouts with sciatica--the general term for irritation of a nerve root that radiates sensation (usually pain) down a limb--and most mornings I am thankful if I can stand up and walk down the hall without grimacing. Luckily, I'm pain-free most of the time. I have a stand-up desk at work, because sitting for long periods of time (and then standing up) can be painful. I had to sell my road bike as the bent over position irritated my spine and hips. I still run, though not as fast, and only on trails. Ski patrolling was out (see my previous post on the subject). I stretch and do core work almost every night. This latest bout of pain was due to the fact that I slacked off in my regular nightly exercise last week, then did some throwing and falling in Karate class on Saturday without warming up or stretching properly. That's the problem with working out with teenagers and kids who are made of rubber. I start thinking I'm still a kid, too.

For many folks, pain is their frequent companion. It can become constant and, in some ways, welcome, as neurons in the brain reconnect and adopt a state of pain as normal. My cousin, who also has back issues, reached a point in his life where the pleasure and pain centers in his brain were almost confused. He was driving home from work one day and the pain in his back and legs was so bad, he said it almost felt good. He underwent surgery to repair his herniated discs soon after. Drugs to combat pain are a major market for pharmaceutical companies. Alternative remedies also abound (I'm a big fan of acupuncture and massage). Yet, as endemic as crippling, chronic pain is in our population, remarkably little is understood about it. Pain treatment is a relatively undervalued and underpromoted specialty, even though chronic pain accounts for much lost productivity in the modern workforce.

Then again, this may be a phenomenon of the "knowledge worker," as folks who rely on manual labor for their livelihood don't have the luxury of complaining about their back pain. Or any pain. Folks who rely on manual labor also aren't subject to the deleterious effects of sitting at an office job, so it may not even be that much of an issue.

As I type this, I'm thankful that the stabbing sensations that plagued my back on Sunday and Monday, and the burning in my hips, have mostly subsided. My back is laterally straight again, instead of assuming the pain-induced scoliosis (sideways curve) I sometimes get. I still got the oil changed in the car and made some small picture frames for my wife (more on those later) on Sunday. Back pain is impossible to ignore, though I'll continue to try in an attempt to be productive. I'll keep stretching, keep moving, stay busy, and remain positive. It will get better, just as it has before. Which is good, because this weekend I have a Karate class, a bit more wood to split, a gig, some work around the house, and some backcountry ski terrain near Taos to check out. 

If you want to read an excellent book on the subject of pain, I'd suggest The Pain Chronicles by Melanie Thernstrom. In the book she outlines her own injury and discomfort, as well as a historical and modern perspective on pain treatment. It may sound strange, but it was cathartic to read this book in the midst of my last 6-month-long bout that required Tramadol, chiropractic intervention, and physical therapy to placate. I guess it was nice to know that other people hurt, too.

Anyway, I hope you are all well. Thanks for reading, and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment