Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How to Make Yourself Feel Great in 20 Minutes

Okay, so you're probably already skeptical of the dubious claim in the title. Heck, statements like that persuade people to try all kinds of destructive behavior. Pssssst, hey buddy, I've got this stuff...

...or, you're expecting a late-night info-mercial. For 3 easy payments of $39.95, I'll send you my special blend!

No, I'm not talking about any of that, nor am I trying to sell you something.

And get your mind out of the gutter!

I'm talking about...

...wait for it...

...taking a bath. TA DA!
This fellow is very contemplative as he bathes. I found this Daniel Caspera painting (Man in Tub) here, and you can find more of  Caspera's fine work here.
I haven't been a big fan of taking baths since I was probably 8 years old, preferring the efficiency of the shower instead. Except, that is, for that period between 8 and puberty when I was feral and just didn't bother with hygiene until forced (kind of like my kids, come to think of it). However, I  re-embraced the idea after a recent visit to my favorite chiropractor/healer. Dr. McIntyre spent 30 minutes adjusting every bone in my spine, then suggested that 1) I might be a bit sore the next day, and 2) I should stay hydrated, and 3) I should take a detox bath.

Anything "detox" smacks of new-age, Yoga, Pilates, tofu, Spandex, green smoothie, hybrid car, hippy nonsense to my Southern Idaho roots. Might as well try to sell a Ford to a Chevy Truck man, or try to get a "meat & potatoes" guy to eat a mixed greens salad with arugula and a dressing based on fancy vinegar. I think my chiropractor suggested this same mineral detox bath idea the last time I visited her, 2 years ago, and I was too stubborn to try it. But this time (just like last time!) I was indeed sore, and, rather than prolong the back pain--I was (am) on a fairly tight schedule with an upcoming ski patrol class, and life with pain just sucks--this detox bath sounded appealing if it meant I could move a bit more freely, and sooner rather than later. So, I took one. And I felt great afterward.

(This discussion reminds me of the old Volkswagen Passat ad from the early 2000's, where a woman gets on the radio and says, over ominous background music: "We were going skiing. It was snowing. We were in my Passat with 4Motion. We got there. And we parked," as in, well, duh).

Without further ado, here's the recipe.
- 2 cups baking soda
- 2 cups Epsom salts
- lavender essential oil (optional)
- a bathtub full of water as hot as you can stand without burning yourself

Here's an easy way to measure. 2 cups = 16 oz, so dump a 16 oz box of baking soda into the tub (with the water running), refill the box with Epsom salts (happens to come in larger bags), and dump that in. Fill the tub as full as you can, and slosh the water around to make sure the salts dissolve. I list the lavender essential oil as optional, but it would be a nice touch. I haven't used it yet because we don't have any in our apothecary right now.

Immerse your aching bones and soak until you're sweating; for me, that's 15-20 minutes. Sunday night I took a good book with me, which was a nice touch.

Need more proof? I did a 7-mile run Sunday morning (longest one in a while!) AND did a snow hike with the family Sunday afternoon. I was already sore when we got home from the hike, including an ache in the back. After getting the kids in bed, I did my soak. I was a bit tired Monday, but the soreness was gone.

I wish we had a bigger, deeper tub so I could soak all my bones at once. Or me & the Mrs. could, uh, detox together.
Maybe one of these beauties will grace our home someday. I am, of course, talking about the walk-in tub.
Take care, and thanks for reading!

------------------------------------------------------------------
In light of my anti-hippy rant earlier, I should tell you:
- I drive a Prius (but deep down I want another mid-90s Toyota 4x4, 22R-E engine, 5-speed)
- I attempt Yoga & Pilates every night before bed to keep my back supple and core strong
- I sometimes run in tights that have some percentage of Spandex in the weave
- I enjoy a good green smoothie (especially when made with my sister's VitaMix blender)
- Olive oil and Balsamic vinegar make my favorite salad dressing.
So, yes, you can bring an Idaho country boy into the 21st century. He may require some persuasion, but he'll eventually come around.


No comments:

Post a Comment