Wednesday, February 22, 2017

What to do with a big slab of wood/old piano parts? The 3 Hour Endtable!

I just made some mods to my digital grand project, namely lowering the keyboard and desk to make the set up much more ergonomic (more on that later). I had to cut out the existing keyboard shelf. In so doing, I ended up with a large chunk of oak that used to be the shelf for the keyboard. After moving it around the garage for a few days (as I was working on some other projects at the same time), I was inspired by the book Home-Made Modern by Ben Uyeda. He had combined angle iron and 2x10s to make an attractive, industrial-looking bookshelf.

I happened to have a chunk from the old piano, as well as some angle iron cut-offs from an old metal shelf. I cut the oak in half, evened up the legs and cleaned them up with a bit of steel wool and my bench grinder, made grooves in the front edge of the shelf to hide the legs, put it together, made it mostly square, and cut a back to keep it from racking.



I used a circular saw, bench grinder, drill driver, a few measuring tools, and some elbow grease and came out with a fairly attractive, extremely handy end table. It was built entirely for free--I didn't purchase anything for this project.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment