Tuesday, July 16, 2013

New Fly Art--Part 2

These are my Fly Tying Meets Modern Art series, which I might submit under a pseudonym my Father-in-Law dreamed up--Andy Warhook. I thought the oversized Copper Johns turned out the best. Hope Fuller Lodge Art Center likes them, too!

I didn't realize it until I was putting together this post, but these (in smaller sizes!) are my favorite go-to flies for fishing in the Jemez. I'll usually rig an elk hair caddis or parachute Adams to float with a copper John or prince bouncing along the bottom.

The Copper John (the original, something like the one in the upper right/yellow background, was designed by Colorado angler John Barr):

These are something like a Parachute Adams, but more colorful. I was thinking of another Father-in-Law-ism as the title for this one: Marilyn Mayfly. I came across some poly yarn that I think I'll use in the future for my real Parachute Adams flies.

Finally, the venerable Elk Hair Caddis, ostensibly designed/invented by Montana fly tier Al Troth.
 

I had a blast putting these together, and I hope you enjoy them, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment